Events & Programs
The Akron Marathon Charitable Corporation is committed to preserving the integrity of the running industry. Whether highlighting the leaders of our industry for their commitment to excellence or working to ensure our events follow “green” guidelines, these programs help us continue delivering world-class experiences through all of our events.
The Ambassador Award presented by Westfield Bank
The Akron Marathon’s Ambassador Award presented by Westfield Bank recognizes individuals who have demonstrated superior service and dedication to the running industry or who have earned respect within their community for exceptional accomplishments.
Criteria for appointing an Ambassador:
- Candidate’s sustained contributions (meant for an entire body of work, not just a single achievement) have been significant toward the advancement of the sport of running and its positive impact on society.
- Candidate’s extraordinary efforts have been made on a local, national and/or international level.
- Candidate’s contributions include, and are not limited to, sporting endeavors, community leadership, health & fitness, service, etc.
|Recipient||Kathrine Switzer||Bill Rodgers||Amby Burfoot||Hal Higdon||Craig Masback||Criegh Kelley||Joan Benoit Samuelson|
To learn more about the Ambassador Award Recipients, click here.
The Akron Marathon commits to consider the social, economic and environmental impacts while putting on a world-class event. We seek to incorporate environmentally responsible practices through a process of planning, deliberate actions, measuring progress, and continuous improvement. These practices will help to reduce waste and energy consumption, encourage economic advancement and healthy living.
In 2014, our environmental practices earned the Akron Marathon Gold Certification from the Council for Responsible Sport making the marquee event of the Rubber City Race Series the first event in Ohio and one of 16 nation-wide to earn this level of certification.
Learn more about our Environmental Endurance Efforts here.
Going the Distance Sustainability Campaign
A $1,000,000 Sustainability Campaign that Sets the Pace for Tomorrow
The Akron Marathon was created through the ingenuity, creativity, business acumen and hard work of Steve and Jeannine Marks as well as hundreds of Akron and Summit County residents, runners and community, business, government and philanthropic leaders. Without the support of the Akron Marathon Charitable Corporation, there would be no Akron Marathon events and the far-reaching benefits they provide to our community.
Although the Akron Marathon continues to grow at an impressive rate, there is far greater potential to expand its health, economic and community impact on Akron, Summit County and beyond. To do so, the Akron Marathon Charitable Corporation has determined that it must:
- Enhance and grow marathon events that will retain past participants, attract new ones and help generate additional revenue.
- Increase educational outreach, especially to children and youth, on health, fitness and wellness.
- Increase its organizational capacity by adding staff and the technology needed to enhance race event operations.
- Provide scholarships to runners with financial limitations.
- Attract top-level athletes and elite runners from around the world to enhance the international appeal and prestige of the marathon.
- Improve the financial position, operating flexibility and sustainability of the Akron Marathon by establishing a contingency fund to pursue unanticipated opportunities and to safeguard against unforeseen events.
- Continue to provide marketing and philanthropic venues that benefit area nonprofits.
To raise the funds needed to accomplish these goals, the Akron Marathon Charitable Corporation is initiating a Going the Distance Sustainability Campaign which will take place between the fall of 2011 and Spring 2013. The Akron Marathon Charitable Corporation has established the Akron Marathon Sustainability endowment fund at the Akron Community Foundation. Foundations, businesses and individuals are invited to support the Going the Distance Sustainability Campaign.